Thursday, February 9, 2012

Anatomy of an Eating Disorder continued...

One of the turning points in the struggle with the problem came from an unexpected direction...
By this time, I had tried so many things in an effort to understand and heal myself from the addiction.  Everything from affirmations, religion, myriad diets, exercise, fasting, journalling...but I still wasn't getting better.

Then, a novel approach came to me by way of a book written by a Chinese Christian mystic named Watchman Nee.  It was suggested that I quit struggling and simply forgive myself and turn the job over to Christ.  It was terrifying to think of letting go.  If I stopped fighting, I would surely disappear into the black hole of the addiction.  The idea of forgiving myself for the awful behavior that I was likely to continue repeating made no sense to me.  I hated myself for my weakness and gluttony. I knew I would be a repeat offender. I was filled with self-loathing and shame.  So what was the sense of forgiving myself and giving up the struggle?
It seemed so hypocritical...even nonsensical.   But eventually, I realized that I had tried everything else...
and none of it had worked.
There wasn't much more to lose.  I had run out of ideas.  I was giving up on myself anyway.
By this time, I was desperately tired of the struggle.
I started to apply the advice...   I 'forgave myself'.  At first, it was a kind of make believe statement.
The best I could do was to just mouth the words "I forgive myself for eating the pie" or whatever.
It was hollow and without conviction.  But I kept on doing it.  Each and every time.  I was, in effect, turning my back on my negative behavior. Trying to love myself a little.  It still made no sense to me, but i practiced it anyway.  
The strangest thing happened as I continued to forgive myself over the next weeks and months.
The compulsions to eat began to diminish.  I didn't understand it, but I could feel it. I could observe a change in my behavior.  It took an unfamiliar form.  Whereas I might have felt compelled to buy and eat a box of doughnuts, I watched my behavior shift.  I would buy the doughnuts, but I would leave them on the kitchen counter instead.  There was strangely no compulsion to eat them.  After a few days, i would discard them. 
The compulsions were coming less often and with less strength.  That pattern was experienced with each and every binging food.  After discarding them 2 or 3 times, that particular food had very little meaning to me.  I began to realize that once I reached that stage,  I was near the end.  Just having it in the house was somehow enough.  I did not need to eat it for some reason.  In the past, just having the food in the house was enough to trigger an eating binge.
This was a strange new experience.  Over the course of about a year, I could see that I was emerging from the pit.  It was as if the forgiveness had put some traction underfoot and I was able to climb a little higher most days.   Finally, I found that I was largely free of temptation and compulsion.  I reached a stage where I was eating normally for the 1st time in many years. 
There was a little holdover from the past that I could never quite eradicate, however...  3 or 4 times a year, I was inexplicably 'seized' for a day or so and I found myself back in that precarious state.
But each time, I was reminded to forgive myself, the same as before, and to put it behind me.  And that continued to help.  I thought to myself that I could live with the remnant.  I still puzzled over how this had happened to me, but I was happy to have distanced myself from the worst of it.
I continued like that for several years....a small struggle now, but manageable. 

Then another piece of the puzzle came to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment