Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Stomach...Your Emotional Brain

The first idea I'd like to introduce comes from Chinese medicine, something most of us know very little about.  In their understanding, they say that we have two brains. 
That was a bit of a shock to me. 
I wondered where my second brain might be.  Any ideas?

Well…here's the answer: it is your stomach.   That is the emotional brain.

Something about that made sense to me....  It probably will to you, as well.
The Chinese go on to say that our stomach is the really the most important brain. 

The brain in our head is more like a computer.  It helps to store and organize and articulate
all of the incoming information. 
It was never designed to figure everything out by itself.  That job really belongs to Brain #1,
the stomach.

Basically, this is how it works.  We actually have many sensitive nerve centers in and around
our belly.

Just imagine for a moment....  You walk into a room full of people at a party or a meeting.. 
You can 'feel' that room...  You instantly know the mood of the room, whether it's tense
 or relaxed and happy. 
You can also perceive the individuals in the room. 
Some of them appeal to you and some you might want to avoid.
You are actually picking up all of that information... tons of it... via your stomach,...your emotional brain.

That information shoots up to Brain #2 via your nervous system hidden in your spine.  Instantaneous!  Automatic!  We never think about it... it just happens.   all day long...

Then your upstairs brain begins to comment on the incoming information. "Well, I'd rather
not be here, but I don't want to disappoint anyone by leaving early."  or  " I have more important things to do right now than to sit in this boring meeting."  or " I'm not sure I trust this salesman,
but he's a friend of my brother."

So now you experience a little conflict between what your gut is telling you (Brain #1) and what
your mind (Brain #2)  thinks you should do. 
 More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment